The word Vastu is made from the word “vasa” which means habitant in English & in Sanskrit vast means the site for construction of a building, office, or residence. Sastra is a Sanskrit word that means science.
According to ancient books, Vasthu Sastra comes into practice sometime between 10,000 BC. The proof of Vastu & Vastu architecture can be found by reference to the holy epics of Ramayana and Mahabharata. In this era architecture was excellent & there was a good reason behind architecture, the placement of things. The architect of that era was brilliant not only in creative things but they were highly knowledgeable in divine power & Vastu Sastra.
What is Vastu Shastra?
Vastu Shastra is a science that combines all of Nature’s Five Elements and balances them with our structures and nature, man and material.
The Power of 16 MahaVastu Zone
The other term of Vastu includes the art of placement, the science of architecture, the science of construction, the science of energy, the science of placing things to generate & preserve positive energy in a place. The overall Vastu is the calculation to follow the law of nature.
According to the ancient Vedic literature – Matsya Purana, There are 18 originators of Vastu Sastra Science. Among 18 originators, Maya the great scientist, architect, and town planner of old is known as the Author of Vastu Shastra.
The science of town planning during the Vedic period (2500 BC 200AD) was given lots of importance to the extent that Indo-Aryans perfectly shaped human settlements into various categories depending upon the characteristics of the population.
People started applying Vastu Shastra not only to residences and temples but also to military barracks, market places, ports, residence, offices, palaces, and administration buildings, and of course palaces of which many have withstood the test of time.
In ancient India, architecture, medicine, astrology, philosophy, and spirituality were some hoe related to each other & they affect humans, their lifestyle & fate, their boundaries overlapping and enriching one another.
Vasthu Sastra is also connected to other sciences that originated in India- astrology, and Ayurveda (the science of holistic medicine and longevity).
For centuries, People in India use Vastu Shastra while purchasing land, HOME, OR property.
Just like Feng Shui from China, the basic principle of Vasthu Sastra is to live in harmony with our environment so that the energy surrounding us works in our favor than against us.
Vasthu Sastra is based on the arrangements and balancing of the five elements in their proper order and proportions. These ancient sciences are still applicable in modern times.
Five elements of Vastu Shastra
According to Vaastu Shastra, the world comprises five basic elements known as the “Pancha tattva”. The five elements are as follows:-
- EARTH (Bhumi) Element – Earth, the third planet in order from the sun, is a big magnet with the North and South poles as centers of attraction. Its magnetic field and gravitational force have affected everything on the Earth, living and non-living.
- WATER (Jala) Element – This is represented by rain, river, sea and is in the form of liquid, solid (ice), and gas (steam, cloud). It forms part of every plant and animal. Our blood is mostly water.
- AIR (Vayu) Element– As a life-supporting element, the air is a very powerful life source. Human physical comfort values are directly and sensitively dependent on correct humidity, airflow, the temperature of the air, air pressure, air composition, and its content.
- FIRE (Agni) Element – Represents light and heat which account for day, night, the seasons, energy, enthusiasm, passion, and vigor.
- SPACE (Akasha) Element – The Akasha provides shelter to all the above elements. It is also considered the primary conductor of all energy sources within the universal context – physical energies such as sound and light, social energies such as psychological and emotional, and cognitive energies such as intellect and intuition.
Check the Vastu score of your house and office to know how well it has been built & where improvement is required to achieve success & happiness in life.